Would You Wear It- Fuzzy and Warm

Would You Wear It- Fuzzy and Warm

Happy Weekend!! I hope you had a great week. We are firmly into fall here and many of us are experiencing cooler weather so my mannequin today is right on time. Grab another cup of your favorite coffee or tea and let’s get to would you wear it.

Each week my friend Pam and I share a mannequin we’ve photographed and ask if you would wear what it’s modeling. I also like to have you share how you could style it to work for your shape and lifestyle. It’s fun to exchange styling ideas and get inspiration for ways to wear things you may not have considered.

mannequin wearing faux fur jacket and handbag

So tell me, ladies, would you wear this look? Does a faux fur jacket mean no faux fur handbag for you?

How could you style this to work for your shape and lifestyle? Which pieces speak to your style?

Here are a few weekend sale updates:

Talbots – fall style event with 30% off your entire purchase. I will admit I went a little crazy with this one because they’ve got some great pieces.

Colleen Rothschild Beauty – save 25% sitewide with the code BDAY25

Madewell – 20% off for insiders + 40% off select styles…it’s free to become an insider!

Chico’s – up to 50% off select styles

Nordstrom – lots of markdowns and clearance plus price matching on some amazing things. I check the price matching link often because they update every day!

J. Crew – 40% off their coziest styles and an extra 40% off sale with the code COZY

J. Jill – 40% off full-price styles with the code FALL40

Banana Republic

Now let’s go see what Pam’s mannequin is wearing at Over 50 Feeling 40

Thanks for being here and remember to wear what makes you feel confident!

This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.

1. Jo
    September 27, 2020 / 5:23 am

Good morning, Jennifer. Please forgive if this is a dumb question… my computer literacy is pretty sub par. Today’s email from you came just from Jennifer as opposed to Jennifer at A Well Styled Life. However, the email address appears to be the same. Did you change that?

I ask only because you have mentioned your postings being poached. I want to be sure I’m getting what you sent & not the thief. Thanks!!

2. Teri Pool
    September 27, 2020 / 12:21 am

It just doesn’t get cold enough in Southern California to warrant such a thick jacket, except perhaps in January or February. I recently returned a jacket that was not a faux fur like this, but just a thick, heavy knit. Although I loved the color and the style, I knew I would probably wear it infrequently and so back it went. But I agree, the fuzziness is overdone. I like minimalism, and there is just too much going on here. Maybe a fur accessory as a fun accent, but that’s it.

3. Lin
    September 26, 2020 / 4:20 pm

I like the jacket but a hip length would work better for me. Would wear a turtle neck shirt and skinny jeans. Skip the hand bag and nice mid-boots, maybe even biker boots.
    These flux furs are pretty warm and nice for the fall/early winter.

4. Adrienne
    September 26, 2020 / 3:26 pm

Many years ago, I inherited a mouton jacket from my Mother-in-law. I know, I know. Don’t wear real fur, but this was already a vintage piece when I received it. I took it to a furrier who removed the sleeves that were too short for me and had sleeves knitted for it in a marled black, gray, and cream yarn. The collar was restyled into a little stand up collar and some width was added to the front placket all in the same marled yarn. The furrier re-glazed the fur and put in a new lining. I wore it with everything, from casual jeans going to the grocery store to a dressy event with a long dress. Every time I wore it, it reminded me that my now departed Mother-in -law gave me something she had enjoyed.

September 26, 2020 / 6:35 pm

That was smart! I fed the same way about vintage fur.

5. Deborah
    September 26, 2020 / 3:21 pm

Nope! I’m a size 14 and would look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.
    Would not be flattering to me. I do like the sweater tho.

6. Donna
    September 26, 2020 / 1:09 pm

When my beloved grandma passed in ’98 at age of 88, the family came in to clean out. While the others looked for stashed cash, I went straight to her closet. I got armloads of classic looks. Among them, was 2 short fuzzy jackets, one black and the other animal print, just like the picture but mine have 3/4 sleeves , so I rarely wear them b/c I don’t know how. Someday, I hope to figure it out.

• Sandy
      September 26, 2020 / 2:26 pm

This gives me an idea for Jennifer! Maybe some of us have pieces (like your fuzzy jackets) we don’t know how to style. We could send Jennifer a picture and she could suggest styling looks!

• Tracey
        September 27, 2020 / 2:58 pm

I wouldn’t wear it, but I do like it. I am to broad shouldered for fluffy things like that.

• Adrienne
      September 26, 2020 / 3:18 pm

Donna, wear those jackets with everything. They go with jeans, skirts, formal wear. The 3/4 length sleeves were designed to wear with long gloves. The jackets would go well with jeans, more rugged boots, and long chunky knit gloves. If you are wearing the jackets with a more dressy/formal look, try it with long leather gloves. I suggest not wearing faux fur hats so you don’t steal any thunder from the lovely, vintage jackets. A simple beret, slouchy beanie or a fedora would look good with them.

September 26, 2020 / 6:34 pm

Fun ideas!! I love them

September 26, 2020 / 6:30 pm

She sounds like a she was a very chic lady! Lucky you. I would wear the 3/4 sleeves with lots of bracelets. Either push your shirt sleeves up or leave long to highlight the shorter jacket sleeves. Play them up as a feature. Bracelet length sleeves go in an out of popularity pretty often.

• Donna
        September 27, 2020 / 6:53 am

Thanks to all for the great ideas! Will definitely revisit those jackets this fall with a new style focus! Luv ya!

7. Eve
    September 26, 2020 / 11:48 am

If I wore all this together I would feel like a Pom Pom ball but the jacket alone might be doable. Skinny jeans and white tee as a base just might work. I’m not against fuzzy sweaters, I have one in camoflauge grey given to me by my husband that does keep me really warm but I always feel like there are many things I look better in. My dog would attack me before I got out the door with that bag,

8. Gwen
    September 26, 2020 / 11:09 am

I like the colors in the sweater but it is all down hill from that point. It is too warm in South Louisiana to wear a fuzzy sweater and fuzzy coat most of the year. I don’t do distressed clothes. I am old enough to remember when distressed clothes meant your family was too poor to provide you with new clothes that fit well.

9. Marcia
    September 26, 2020 / 10:39 am

I’m sure this is an outfit I wore in 1970. I loved it then, but it’s over. My taste these days leans toward monochromatic tones and sleeker fabrics. The 70’s were great though.

10. Connie
    September 26, 2020 / 10:23 am

What? No white GO GO boots? It screams 70s. No to the short fuzzy shirt. No to the short fluffy jacket. Still laughing at the “I made this myself” furry bag. The jeans are too short and have a raw him. I do like longer animal or faux fur looking jackets. I have a Bill Blasso cheetah one I love but like an animal print, I only wear one fur or fuzzy at a time…

11. Audrey
    September 26, 2020 / 10:08 am

Definitely not! Whenever I try one of those fuzzy coats on, I look like a small house moving around.

12. beth byrd
    September 26, 2020 / 10:01 am

I have to say no to pretty much everything here.

There is way too much fuzzy stuff for one outfit, in my opinion. A fuzzy sweater and a fuzzy jacket is too much bulk that I don’t need. However, I’d consider the jacket if it were a different color. And, I’d pair with lighter weight clothing — a blouse and skinny jeans, a long skirt, etc.

I’m not a fan of distressed jeans and don’t care for the unfinished hem.

The handbag is a big no … I think it would be hard to keep clean, plus it’s not something I’d be able to use in my wardrobe.

13. Elizabeth Day
    September 26, 2020 / 9:47 am

I really don’t find anything redeemable in this outfit at all. The jacket is not bad but living in the deep south, it would never be worn. The jeans are horrible and the sweater too short and much too fuzzy. Nope, this outfit is out the window for me.

14. Pamela Over 50 Feeling 40
    September 26, 2020 / 9:42 am

I laughed when I read that the item being held is a handbag! I would not have thought that. There is nothing here I would wear. I do not wear distressed or frayed denim because I do not personally like the message it send about me and my style. The other garments would add weight to an already fluffy figure. So this is a no, I would not wear it for me.

September 26, 2020 / 10:05 am

Thanks Pam 😉

15. Sandy
    September 26, 2020 / 9:31 am

Don’t care for the jacket. Too short and too bulky. Color is kind of drab.

16. Sharon Smith
    September 26, 2020 / 9:30 am

I love all the pieces shown, but I would not wear a fuzzy sweater under a furry jacket. Maybe a silky blouse tucked into the jeans with the jacket on top. Perfect for fall.

September 26, 2020 / 10:04 am

Thanks for sharing your styling ideas

17. Linda D
    September 26, 2020 / 9:25 am

My 8 year old granddaughter would love this whole outfit and I would happily but it for her for Christmas. For her grandmother the jacket is too short, the sweater is too short and the the stripes too wide and the jeans are distressed.

18. Debbie
    September 26, 2020 / 8:57 am

No to all of it. The jacket looks like a short bathrobe. If that’s an example of what’s in the stores now, I am fine with not shopping for the time being.

September 26, 2020 / 8:36 am

I think it would need to be a longer coat and different color for me to wear it. Doubtful I would ever wear any of the accessories either.

September 26, 2020 / 10:04 am

Thanks Linda

20. Elaine @ Following Augustine
    September 26, 2020 / 8:28 am

I would consider a faux fur jacket, but I’d want it to be longer than the one shown here. I wouldn’t wear the rest of the outfit nor would I ever consider carrying a faux fur handbag if that’s what that is.

21. Bab
    September 26, 2020 / 8:25 am

I’m all for holding on to my youth but not that tight! Too teenish for me.

• Lana
      September 26, 2020 / 11:28 am

Agree with all the comments here. This look screams “teenager”. None of the clothes would flatter me. Fun looking at the mannequin but the outfit is a big “heck, no!”
      Are you back in CA or still in BC?

September 26, 2020 / 12:38 pm

I’m in Vancouver

September 26, 2020 / 8:13 am

It’s a definite No for me! I wouldn’t wear frayed jeans, cropped tops, big horizontal stripes, nor faux fur. I don’t see any way that I could style these separate pieces to fit my style.

23. Sue
    September 26, 2020 / 8:11 am

Definitely the jacket, I’ve been looking for one–but one in a darker color. No to everything else.

September 26, 2020 / 10:03 am

I got one last year that I love!

24. Anon
    September 26, 2020 / 8:02 am

Yes, I would wear this. I like it for my body shape and personality. I would not use the bag, but a friend had the most adorable faux fur bag. It’s best as a standout statement piece.

September 26, 2020 / 10:02 am

Thanks! I have a bag made from a vintage mink coat that I love!

25. Dianne
    September 26, 2020 / 7:54 am

No to the entire outfit I am afraid. Jeans to me are awful. I don’t like any jeans that have a frayed hem or areas that are ripped or shredded. They may be the trend right now but not for me. Jacket….too short and not a fan of fur anything. Thanks for a great post!!

26. Kathy
    September 26, 2020 / 7:45 am

Fuzzy is not my style. Even that striped sweater looks fuzzy. I do like leopard, though. I like denim, but not that cut off look. Leave this one for the teens. I can think of no way to style it for me.

27. Linda L
    September 26, 2020 / 7:21 am

Remember chubby jackets from the seventies? This one and those were always too short for a long torso person like myself. I don’t wear distressed jeans at 69 years old. Faux fur can be fun; I own a leopard longish vest that looks great over a burnt orange sweater but I hardly ever get to wear it in SoCal climate. Definitely no on the bag!

28. Jeanne
    September 26, 2020 / 7:05 am

Love the coat!!! Was disappointed that there wasn’t a link to purchase. It’s pouring rain, windy and cold in Seattle and I’m ready for a cozy coat.

September 26, 2020 / 7:05 am

I’ve tried that type of jacket and I feel like a bear. Too much bulk. Now that I live in Tucson AZ all of that is too hot for me.

30. Ann M
    September 26, 2020 / 6:44 am

Oh! That’s a handbag? I was thinking she was holding a detachable hood…. I love the convenience of a hood on a winter jacket. Ixnay to the short style of this one on my pear shape, but I can see teens and 20-somethings loving it and the cozy striped sweater. The popularity of ragged (pardon me, ‘distressed’) denim can’t disappear fast enough to suit me.

• Kathy
      September 26, 2020 / 7:40 am

Me, too!

31. Janette Nelsen
    September 26, 2020 / 6:38 am

Cute outfit for a high schooler. Jacket is cute but far too bulky for a full busted woman like me. Not a fan of cropped, unfinished hem jeans, always looks like something was forgotten at the manufacturer😊. Sweater is okay just not my style and that purse….well, no. I am new to your blog, Jennifer, and loving it!

32. Deb
    September 26, 2020 / 6:36 am

Did you photograph this in the Junior Department? Far too young for most of your audience I would assume – and it’s pretty cheap looking too. A long way from the classic and classy look desired.

33. Rose
    September 26, 2020 / 6:35 am

Love the fur jacket but no to everything else. I had a fake fur coat on the 60’s and just loved it. I would buy another if not too bulky. The jacket and bag is a bit much though.

34. Lyn
    September 26, 2020 / 6:33 am

Sweater, jacket, purse a solid no. Not a fan of adding bulk. I do, however, like the jeans with the subtle distressing, the high waist and straight legs (where can I get them).

35. Carol
    September 26, 2020 / 6:25 am

It’s hard to relate “warm and snuggy” to an outfit that lets a cool breeze waft over the belly button area and has bared ankles. Really? I know a lot of teens and young adults would be wearing the look—-I see them waiting at the bus stop on their way to the university, all shivery and hunched over trying to get warm clad in a similar fashion. (Even if there’s snow!)
    Faux fur doesn’t have a place in my wardrobe, just never been a real fan of it it. Give me the real stuff in small doses like a collar or earmuffs and I’m all over it, tho.

36. MRSBEN2
    September 26, 2020 / 6:06 am

For myself and for starters beginning with the jeans. A no, due to they are cropped and have an unfinished hem and button front plus are not my favourite cut. As to the sweater again a no because of its crew neckline, cropped length and has wide horizontal stripes though I do like its unusual blend of colours. With regards to the teddy faux fur jacket another no just for that reason; it looks faux plus as its closure appears to be dome snaps I wonder how long they would last before pulling away from the pile fabric not to mention they might be a challenge to do up. On its positive side though, I do like its short hip length as find such very versatile as IMHO can look great with any length in bottoms. (Skirts and dresses included.) Last but not least; assuming it is a handbag she is holding a no to it though it might be a cute accessory for those of us who live in the great-white north, if used as a shoe/slipper bag which are almost impossible to find now for transporting our indoor footwear from A to B.

September 26, 2020 / 10:01 am

Lol, I do remember transporting my slippers when we lived on Vancouver Island. Thanks for the memories.

37. Rhonda Ragain
    September 26, 2020 / 6:04 am

This outfit is not my style at all. I do not like the fuzzy cream colored jacket nor the stiped sweater. There is no cohesion to this outfit. The jeans are OK, but again I prefer a more polished look, and this isn’t it. I might hem the jeans and wear them with a pullover or cute top and either long cardigan or if it were that cold, with a different style jacket. I live in California and have much the same temperature in the fall and winter as you. Sometimes it can be exceptionally cold, but that is the exception for me. Love jeans and sweaters, I prefer skinny or straight jeans or a slight boot cut.

38. Lori Stewart
    September 26, 2020 / 5:47 am

I didn’t know what the mannequin was holding, I thought it maybe was a zip-off hood. It doesn’t look like a purse to me at all, hahahaha.

The jacket is a no for me. The color would wash me out. The faux fur jackets like that are light-weight, but in my memory don’t provide much warmth, so it would be for looks only, and I would rather a beautiful leather moto jacket instead.

I love the sweater, especially the colors, and the jeans, and would wear both. While I am not slim and fit, I have decided that life is too short to not wear what I like and wear horizontal stripes because I like them 🙂

September 26, 2020 / 9:59 am

Way to go Lori!

39. Cathy Cunningham
    September 26, 2020 / 5:44 am

I’m a no on this outfit. I know my daughter would like the jacket.

40. MP
    September 26, 2020 / 5:33 am

Not for me. That outfit is perfect for teenagers! The bulk of the jacket is a turn off. The jacket and sweater look hot to me probably lots of polyester.

41. RoseAG
    September 26, 2020 / 5:26 am

I like the jeans but I doubt they would fit that way on me. I’m not so slim through the hip and thigh. I have some things with that unfinished hem and usually I take my sewing machine, set it to zig-zag and go around the edge. It keeps it from fraying further. The first thing I would do is clip the strings hanging down off.

I like fake fur but can’t see myself in a jacket, not even going to consider the bag. What I have that I do like and will probably wear a lot this year as we’ll be socializing outside further into the Fall, is a fake fur vest. In years past I’ve worn it to parties with a silk top, it’s slightly dressy, but warm enough to make standing around in a big hall comfortable. This year with indoors being a no-no I’ll put a heavier sweater under it.

42. Jan
    September 26, 2020 / 5:16 am

It’s a “cute” outfit but so much about it doesn’t work for me. If the jacket was longer and had a nice lining it would be more to my liking. I do like a light weight faux fur that doesn’t feel like your wearing a blanket. No to the sweater, my granddaughters would love that color combo and style. The jeans are a “maybe”.
    Our winters are long and can be brutal. The most functional jackets are the ones that you can comfortably wear several layers under and still raise your arms or bend over without feeling like you’re in a straight jacket.
    Bottom line, cute but maybe not for me.

43. Susan McClelland
    September 26, 2020 / 5:12 am

I wouldn’t wear this outfit. I’m not a fan of faux fur jackets and this isn’t a flattering colour on me. I have a pair of jeans with an unfinished hem that go right to my ankles and I wear them regularly. However, cropped jeans aren’t practical for an Eastern Canada fall/winter – they look silly with socks. The purse is the epitome of a fashion don’t – just because you can make something, doesn’t mean you should.

September 26, 2020 / 9:39 am

I love your last sentence. It applies to so much fashion these days.

September 26, 2020 / 4:58 am

I might wear the jacket if it was a different, darker color. I don’t wear wide horizontal stripes so, no to the sweater. I don’t like my jeans raggedy and I had to go back and look to see if that was really a handbag…?! No to that as well – I like more structured, easily identifiable handbags.

45. Patti Shannon
    September 26, 2020 / 4:30 am

I’m a no on this outfit. I rarely wear a coat, usually just a vest over a turtleneck but if I did need one I would want a longer length- I actually have a fuzzy dark blue coat that I bought off the men’s rack so it would be longer. I don’t like the sweater’s short length and would prefer a solid color although over all I’d probably find the sweater and coat together too warm unless I was going to be out for a long time on a very cold day. I also prefer longer length and finished bottom on my jeans. If that’s supposed to be a handbag, I’m a no on that too!

September 26, 2020 / 9:37 am

I do believe it’s a handbag 🙂

• Jane
      September 26, 2020 / 9:41 am

Yes to the jacket in a different colour, I have a full length coat in plaid faux fur, it’s not something to wear everyday but I sure have fun when I do! The jeans look nice and high in the rise so I would give them a quick hem. Add a Thin turtle neck, chunky necklace and leather booties…fun! Because of COVID a small cross body purse worn under the coat would be perfect, and of course a mask to match the turtleneck.

46. Gail Schwartz
    September 26, 2020 / 4:28 am

The jacket is cute. I like the outfit, but the handbag looks like she’s holding a small animal. It doesn’t work for me. The outfit would be perfect for a fall day in NJ

47. Pat
    September 26, 2020 / 4:15 am

I don’t like this at all. To bulky and sloppy. Looks like a bag lady 😊

48. Deb
    September 26, 2020 / 4:15 am

I own a fuzzy jacket like this only a little longer in light blue. Get a lot of people who tell me they love the coat and that the color is great on me . However I where mine with regular pants & jean at regular length. I also usually wear with a turtleneck or T shirt with scarf. And just no on the pocketbook?

49. Linda P
    September 26, 2020 / 4:09 am

I don’t like any part of this outfit. The colors of the jacket and sweater are wrong for me. I also do not like the cropped length of the sweater or jeans. It really doesn’t stay cold enough for me to justify this type of jacket here in the Deep South.

50. Paulette Levy
    September 26, 2020 / 3:22 am

Good morning Jennifer
    I like the concept here but would have to try on the jeans (I do wear a lot of jeans and leggings) for fit and style. I don’t own any with that unfinished hem. I love the jacket and would wear with jeans or any pant, actually. It’s stylish and just really cute! I might switch off the featured sweater for a less heavy one or long sleeve tee or shirt. Nothing really wrong with that sweater but it might make it all pretty bulky and warm unless I’m staying out if doors for awhile. But for shopping trips, I’d need something lighter beneath that jacket. I don’t know what that grey item is in her hand? A purse? Whatever it is aid probably nit be carrying it.