Frumpy has such nasty connotations. I’ve yet to meet a woman who doesn’t have a strong reaction to it. No woman intentionally sets out to look frumpy. It can sneak up on us, as we race through our busy days. The amount of effort you put into your self-care and appearance directly effects your confidence.
Dowdy, unfashionable, drab, dull, homely, shabby, scruffy…all are synonyms for the word FRUMPY. We know women often shut down when there is no motivation or inspiration for self-care. Sadly, lack of self-respect is why a woman may fall on the side of frumpy and begin to not care at all.
So, the Frump Busters are here to help. Jennifer of A Well Styled Life, Susan of Fifty Not Frumpy, and Pam of Over 50 Feeling 40 will collaborate on the First Friday of every month to bring their individual interpretations of how to take a frumpy look to fabulous style. Let’s put frumpy behind us for good, ladies!
Susan, Pam and I are going to show alternatives, to this typical, frumpy outfit on the left.
- Let’s start with the mom jeans. If you own them, get rid of them. There is simply no way to un-frump this style of jean. Depending on your body silhouette, replace them with a modern boot cut leg, a skinny jean or a straight leg jean. This blue is also dated. Look for a colored or deeper wash, which is more modern looking.
Style Tip- Wearing one color, head to toe, helps you appear taller, slimmer and more polished.
- The backpack is a very comfortable way to carry things. It leaves your hands free but wrinkles your clothes. If you must use one, look for a chicer version. Leather or a solid fabric would be a better choice.
- The athletic or logo T-shirts are a no-go. There is no fixing this, so opt for a plain t-shirt with no writing on it.
- Those sneakers are best saved for walking your dog or exercising. There are lots of options available at all price points, with a similar comfort level that look less frumpy. I’m wearing my Bernie Mev’s which are as comfortable as slippers!
- The jacket is cute. If you changed everything else, you could wear it running errands. Combined with these other pieces, it screams frumpy. Look for a jacket with a flattering shape and some interesting lines. Mine is made with sweatshirt fabric and faux leather sleeves. It’s many years old, from Anthropologie.
SHOP THE POST