Happy Saturday ladies and welcome to your weekend. Grab another cup of your coffee or tea and let’s dive in. I have some thoughts to share so please bear with me.
Yesterday’s dressing room diary brought up lots of comments that got me thinking about how we feel in our clothes. Several of you liked the way I looked in a blouse that was not in my style wheelhouse. It was a pretty blouse, but just not me.
Most of us dress ourselves to look good…but our ultimate goal should be to wear what makes us feel confident. And while we’re at it, remember that looking good, much like frumpy, is in the eye of the beholder. What feels good to you is a very personal decision often shaped by judgments we heard in our youth or off-hand comments made by others.
A reader commented that she doesn’t wear classic white shirts because she has an issue about feeling masculine. I found that fascinating because I have an issue about feeling masculine too and am very sensitive about my broad shoulders. And yet, I love to wear the very white shirts that she avoids.
Is that a fashion disconnect? Nope. We both know how a white shirt makes us feel and it’s not a pleasant one for her. Bravo! She wins because she knows her personal taste and is listening to how clothes make her feel.
Should we stretch ourselves and try new things? Absolutely! But this is where your gut instinct comes in. Listen to it. Experimentation leads to growth, but be sure to accept what just feels wrong.
Now I’ve pontificated enough so let’s get to would you wear it!
If you’re new here, each week my friend Pam and I share a mannequin we have photographed and ask if you’d wear what it’s modeling. Stores dress their mannequins to showcase new merchandise and inspire us to shop. We want to hear from you.
I also love you to share how you might style these pieces, either together or separately.
Sweater dresses have been popular all winter and their popularity is continuing into spring.
So what do you think? Would you wear this outfit? How could you style this to fit your shape and lifestyle?
Please share your ideas in the comments and inspire us to think outside the box.
Here are a few highlights from the weekend sales:
J. Crew – 30% off your purchase with the code SPRING.
- This cotton rugby stripe dress will be cool and comfy when the days begin to warm up. I love that it has sleeves so no other arm coverage needed.
- this classic chambray shirt has an interesting ruffle detail at the neck. They’re doing the same look on this white shirt, which intrigues me so I plan to give this a try.
Ann Taylor – 40% off full-price styles with the code WEARNOW.
- this leopard print top is pretty neutral and would be fun with a pair of white jeans.
- this marled turtleneck looks super comfy. The pale colors make it a great transition piece for when you want Spring to arrive but the weather won’t cooperate.
Talbots – end of season clearance with an extra 70% off all markdowns and free shipping over $125.
- their classic cashmere pullover is under $45
- These slim ankle jeans are a favorite in my wardrobe because they fit so well!
Now let’s go see what Pam’s mannequin is wearing at Over 50 Feeling 40