Several months ago I decided to reveal my age and shift my focus to being an “Over 50 Blogger”. I was already a Lifestyle blogger, so throwing another category into the mix seemed harmless.
I hadn’t been hiding my age, I just hadn’t thought it was relevant to my readers. The flood of (presumably young) unsubscribers, proved me wrong.
I made the shift for several reasons.
- I’d become a grandmother.
- My husband began thinking about retiring.
- I’d resigned myself to being referred to as ma’am, whether I liked it or not. I don’t.
- I noticed every skin care and beauty product aimed my way had anti-aging in the name. Which infuriates me.
- I lost 15 pounds and Every. Single. Pound. seemed to come off my face. You’ve heard the adage, “at a certain age, a woman must choose between her ass and her face”. Delightful…and sadly true. It added 10 years to my face but my clothes fit so much better. An improvement? I’m not certain.
- I don’t care what’s hip anymore and realize just using the word hip…proves I’m not.
- I realized that unless I live to the ripe old age of 118, I’m past middle age.
- And bingo, just like that, being a Baby Boomer seemed important.
And now for some random musings:)
I looked up the term, A WOMAN OF A CERTAIN AGE and was surprised what I found.
The Urban Dictionary says it refers to a woman who doesn’t want to state her age.
“The phrase was popularized in a 1979 book by the psychotherapist Lillian B. Rubin, “Women of a Certain Age: The Midlife Search for Self,” in which midlife spanned 35 to 54.
And now to the point: is that certain age getting older?
“When I wrote the book in 1979,” Dr.Rubin said, “the ‘women of a certain age’ were in their late 30’s and early 40’s. I think that has changed with the baby boomers and the lengthening of the life span. I’d say the ‘certain age’ has now moved to the age of 50 or 55.”
My guess is that the age scale has slid even higher now. After all, I’m 58.
Last week, my grandson and I were getting down to earth. Discussing dirt. He’s not speaking a language that I understand completely, but is chattering his little heart out with great enthusiasm that delights me, no end.
If you’re a grandmother you may find this cute. If not, sorry, bear with me. It gives me incredible delight to watch this little man grow and develop.
It was right after my shift to Over 50 Blogging that my email and blog got hacked. Connection? I don’t know. The
hacker creep even mentioned my age in his extortion emails! As though I was a pathetic, incompetent, old lady he could take advantage of! That really torqued me, but I digress.
Does the term “old lady” bother you?
It doesn’t bother me at all, so long as a derogatory adjective isn’t added to it like dumb, silly, crazy, nutty, etc.
Another little video of my grandson “reading” his favorite book.
Becoming this little man’s Granny has had an enormous effect on how I feel about my age. I’m embracing it more than ever and recognizing the wisdom I have to share.
Are you a Baby Boomer?
SHOP MY LOOKS
CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO SHOP THE ITEMS