It can happen to anyone. One minute you’re feeling inspired by your clothes and the next, you hate everything you own. Your clothes bore you. You’re in a style rut. The obvious conclusion is to think you need new clothes, but that’s not always the case.
It’s also not the best time to weed out your wardrobe because your creativity is at a low point and you may regret getting rid of some things. Been there done that and still regret donating that gray suit with the nipped-in waist…but I digress.
Before you dump your wardrobe, here are some ideas to try.
- Change your hairstyle. A fresh ‘do makes every outfit look different. Wearing the same hairstyle year after year gets stale and that takes the fun out everything. If you always wear your hair down, pin it up to change the proportion.
- Switch up your makeup. If you always wear pale lipstick and dark eyes, flip the contrast and go for red lips and softer eyes. Never wear eyeshadow? Give it a try. Scan magazines for fresh ideas on where and how to use colors.
- Add interest with accessories. Costume jewelry and scarves needn’t be expensive and have a big impact on your look. Try colors, styles, and shapes you’ve never considered before. Never where boho anything? Try a boho-inspired scarf with your traditional look. Step out of your comfort zone and wear a statement piece.
- Layers add interest. Add one more layer to your normal look. Stack bracelets, layer necklaces, add a scarf on top of everything. That extra piece can elevate your boring outfit in a flash.
- Mix and match your casual and dressy pieces. Try a denim jacket and sneakers over a dress. How about a sequined top over jeans or chinos? Those sparkly earrings you only wear during the holidays? Try them with blue jeans and a sweater.
- Break apart favorite combinations and restyle them with pieces you’ve never tried before. Be adventurous. If your go-to outfit is jeans and a sweater, try a blouse and skirt.
- Ignore your body shape. Always wear V-necks? Try a turtleneck and use a scarf to create a V-neck shape. Always wear skinny jeans? Try a subtle bootcut and watch how the new shape changes everything you pair it with.
- Change your handbag. It feels smart to buy a neutral colored purse that will go with everything. But a red, blue, yellow or patterned purse brightens everything up and makes old combinations feel new.
- Add color or pattern. If you always wear neutrals, try a pop of color to add energy to your look. If you never wear pattern, try a subtle pattern in an accessory.
Need some fresh ideas? Head over to Pinterest for some inspiration. Take note of how others are pairing things. Pay attention to color combos and see what sparks joy. It may not be your wardrobe that needs a change. It may be the way you are putting things together.
What have you done to get out of a fashion rut?
Thanks for reading and have a great day.
SHOP MY LOOKS
CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO SHOP THE ITEMS