I’ve walked far too many miles in tight, ill-fitting, and high heeled shoes that weren’t always comfortable. When I was younger I would happily suffer for cute shoes but no more. My feet have rebelled and common sense has ruled but I still want to look chic in flats!
Many years in ballet toe shoes, tight shoes, high heels, and the resulting 2 bunionectomy’s on the same toe is enough for me to say, no more. That doesn’t mean I’ll be wearing frumpy gnome type shoes anytime soon because no matter how comfy those are, they don’t match my style.
I adore the look of sexy high heels and the lift it gives my petite self. Sometimes I’ll try them on at the store but the second I stand up I remember how silly this option is for me. They hurt, a lot! I can wear a few low heeled shoes these days but to be honest, flats are the comfiest.
When shopping for shoes, clicking the “comfort” tab category is not as scary as it used to be. Many brands have stepped up their game (bad pun) and new ones have entered that offer great style and comfort in a flat shoe. Here are some tips to help you look chic in flats.
How to find comfy flats
- Look for a cushioned insole and rubber sole.
- a wide and deep enough toe box to give your toes plenty of room. Jammed hammertoes are no fun.
- An arch support system that keeps my feet from getting tired.
- Enough “shoe” to grasp your foot firmly. There’s nothing worse than feeling like the shoe will slip right off.
7 Ways to look chic in flat shoes
- avoid overly chunky shoes that are hard to balance when they’re flat
- look for a unique shape and unusual detailing.
- have your shoes be the pop of color for your outfit
- a pointed toe flat adds length to your leg and helps balance anything else you’re wearing
- sparkly or metallic shoes add fun to every look.
- neutral colored shoes make your legs look longer because they draw no attention.
- athleisure has become mainstream many women are wearing trainers and athletic shoes with everything so try them with wider leg pants or a maxi skirt to help balance their bulk.
Buy the best you can afford and they will last you a long time. Your feet are worth the investment and will thank you for it.
Check out my Pinterest board for inspiration and to capture fresh ideas. Women are forever coming up with clever ways to style their outfits with flat shoes and I love to save them because I firmly believe that it’s chic to be comfortable!
What are your favorite comfort brands?