If you’re anything like me, you’ve got or are getting some crepey skin. It’s that thin papery looking skin that resembles crepe paper. We needn’t feel singled out because everyone gets it, even the fittest among us. If you doubt me just look at the back of their elbow.
My laptop keeps trying to autocorrect crepey to creepy….it knows!
I’ve been going to the gym and yoga class to get in better shape but know that won’t do much to help with my crepey skin so I set out to learn more.
What causes crepey skin?
Unlike wrinkles which are often caused by repetitive motions, crepey skin is caused by:
- the lower production of collagen and elastin as we age.
- frequent or large weight gain and loss. Yo-yo dieting.
- loss of moisture both externally and externally.
- UV damage to our collagen from years of overexposure to the sun or tanning beds.
How can we treat crepey skin?
- If yours is severe from losing a lot of weight, surgery is your best option but comes with risks. Check with your regular doctor then see a board certified plastic surgeon.
- Radio-frequency, laser, and ultrasound treatments are available to help. Again, check with your doctor and do your research.
- Drink lots more fluids to hydrate from the inside out.
- Add weights to your exercise routine which builds muscle and helps to fill out some of the skin. Remember this can only do so much so don’t be discouraged.
- Make body lotion a twice-daily ritual. I’ve always done this so I am switching up my lotions and trying the AHA’s.
Look for highly emollient formulas which contain cocoa butter, shea butter or hyaluronic acid which draw moisture into the skin and trap it there.
Lotions with alpha hydroxy, salicylic, and/or glycolic acids have shown to increase hydration because they also exfoliate the top dead layers of the skin. AmLactin is a popular one as is Eucerin. These and readily available in most drug stores and supermarkets. If you’re like me and prefer a cruelty-free option, this Paula’s Choice Resist and Beauty Without Cruelty are quite popular. I have ordered both and will update you after a few weeks.
How are you combating crepey skin and do you have any great tips to share with us?
Thanks for reading ladies and have a great day!
Affiliate links within this post may generate income for a AWSL.