I know some of you are still knee-deep, literally, in nasty cold weather, but for many of us, it’s downright hot. And as the weather warms up, thoughts of shorter pants come to many women’s minds. Cropped and capri pants are a great option for women whose knees are no longer what they once were and those with varicose veins. Today I thought I’d share how they differ and a few tips on how to look great wearing capris and cropped pants.
Many brands will label them differently. So what’s the difference between capri and cropped pants?
Technically a Capri pant is any length between the knee and the ankle but they tend to stop mid-calf, with a tapered leg. That can be a very unflattering spot so the proportion is critical. They can technically be worn all year long, but look best in warm weather. Capri’s can be a challenge for petite women because she’s already vertically challenged and they tend to make her look even shorter.
Cropped pants have been very popular for several years, with good reason. Crops dress up beautifully and look great all year round. They typically have a wider leg. They’re more versatile than a capris and can be dressed up or down. The cropped pant length is anywhere from right below your knee to several inches above your ankle.
The best proportion with Capri and cropped pants
- Unless you’re tall, avoid cuffs of any kind because they visually shorten the leg even more.
- Look for high rise versions that make the garment look longer so you look taller.
- No matter the length of your capris, pants, or shorts, they’re most flattering when hemmed at a spot where your leg narrows.
- If your legs are very short, you might reconsider wearing capris. Petite women may find crop and capri pants in the regular sizing are full length on them.
Wearing a neutral color that is close to your skin tone will make you look tallest. Head to toe in one color lengthens your look even more.
Best footwear for capri and cropped pants
- A wedge or heel looks great with both capris and crops.
- Sandals of all types look great with both crops and capri pants, either flat or with a small heel.
- Avoid ankle straps that visually chop the leg.
- A pale or nude shoe elongates the look of your legs and looks great with both.
- Shoes with a lower vamp expose more of the top of your foot which extends the look of your leg.
- Booties and boots can bridge the gap with a crop pant which creates a long lean line.
Best tops to wear with Capri and cropped pants
Wide leg crop pants look best with a closer fitting top that stops at the waist or high hip. Wearing a shorter top with either will ensure your legs look their longest. Capris can also look great with a looser tunic-length top or cardigan.
No matter what a brand labels a short pant, choose based on shape, ability to alter and level of casual you are looking for.
Are crop or capri pants a staple in your warm-weather wardrobe?
Thanks for reading and remember to wear what makes you feel confident.